Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Here' what a "normal" day looks like:
  • Wake up and
    • exercise or
    • feel guilty about not exercising
  • Pray and
    • feel guilty that I'm not being "productive or
  • Be productive and
    • feel guilty that I'm not praying
  • Eat and
    • run out the door leaving the dishes or
    • feel guilty about taking the time to clean things up
  • Get to the office and
    • spend time on paperwork and phone calls and feel guilty about pastoral calls or
    • make pastoral calls and feel guilty about the paperwork and phone calls
  • Shoehorn in time for the family and
    • feel guilty about work left undone or
  • Work late and get most of it finished and
    • feel guilty about time for the family.
It's not time management that's the problem, it's guilt management.

A dear friend gave me a coffee mug from the Garrison Keillor Lake Wobegon series with a picture of the Lake Wobegon church named "Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility." My friend knows me well.

Another friend warns against the "General Manager of the Universe" syndrome - she suffers from it, too.

Isn't great that we worship a God who desires to carry our burdens - who admonishes us to be still and know that God is capable of more than we can even begin to imagine? It's a day-by-day struggle for me - but with God's help, I think - think - think - I'm making progress.

5 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

Wow- thanks for posting this! I spent three hours in my Head of Staff's office yesterday looking at my job description and trying to determine what I can stop doing. I'm working 35+ hours a week and only getting paid for 20. Everytime she said, "Let's have you stop doing _________," I would say, "No, I can't give THAT up!" I realize that I am sooo motivated by guilt. I feel so guilty when I say no.

I once heard Roger Nishioka, a professor at Columbia Theological Seminary,say "Workaholism is a negative responce to God's grace." I think the same can be said for being motivated by guilt. Workaholism and guilt go together so often, though, don't they?

5:22 PM  
Blogger Nina Reeder said...

How do you say "sorry, I'm off the clock" when someone calls with an emergency? It's a real killer for part-time ministers - because the emergencies always happen when the minister is off the clock. And isn't it the truth that the pastor's prayer time is never on the clock either:))

5:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you have the same mom that I had?

11:07 PM  
Blogger Nina Reeder said...

Revabi - I knew you looked familiar. Blessings, my long-lost sister:))

9:49 AM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ooooh, you've been reading my mail!

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home