Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday Five - Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving this year will be different. My dad died last week. Not that we've always had Thanksgiving together - far from it. But I always knew that somewhere, Dad was eating turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie - no giblets, that would be gross. So I'm taking seriously this year the biblical admonition to give thanks in all things, even in the death of a much loved and loving parent. What am I thankful for this year? Here goes -

1. I'm thankful for my dad, for all the years of his life, for his love, for his care, for his bad jokes, for his sweaters worn for way too many years, for his daily 7am phone calls, for his self-appointed family position as first responder.

2. I'm thankful for the gift of life, made more precious by the presence of death.

3. I'm thankful for the gift of my family - even when they drive me nuts.

4. I'm thankful for the gift of my family of faith - even when they drive me nuts.

5. I'm thankful for the gift of faith. I'm thankful that even such faith as mine, too often the size of mustard seed - was enough that I could stand at my father's casket and say with truth - I believe.

13 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a bittersweet Thanksgiving lies ahead for you and your family.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

God's peace in the holidays... Don't be surprised at the tears mixing with the laughter...

Deb

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

So sorry for your loss, may you find Gods peace and blessings with you this holiday season.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope your family will find healing in being together.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

So sorry about your dad. Praying for you!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

So sorry about your dad. Praying for you!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I miss my dad too, and he's been gone a long time. I'm sorry for your loss, but what a nice, short and to-the-point post! (Unlike most of mine.)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I am so sorry of the loss of your dad. I, too, miss my dad's bad jokes. These holidays will be different for sure.

I love your thanksgivings, "even when they drive you nuts"

9:49 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

((pastornines))

What a beautiful affirmation of faith and life!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

(o)

1:11 PM  
Blogger the good enough mother said...

This year you will hold the ones you love closer and let them know once again how much they mean to you. This is one of the gifts of a recent death.
God bless you!

PS I am a recovering lurker (o)

3:52 PM  
Blogger the good enough mother said...

This year you will hold the ones you love closer and let them know once again how much they mean to you. This is one of the gifts of a recent death.
God bless you!

PS I am a recovering lurker (o)

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home