Friday, November 21, 2008

Mix and Stir Friday Five

In a minor domestic crisis, my food processor, or more precisely the part you use for almost everything for which I use a food processor, picked the eve of the festive season of the year to give up the ghost. A crack in the lid expanded such that a batch of squash soup had to be liberated via that column shaped thing that sticks up on top.

Can you tell this is not my area of strength?

Next week, I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I need your help. Please answer the following kitchen-related questions:

1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
I do have a food processor, two actually - one of the monster sit-on-the-counter-and-look-intimidating types and one of the little outboard motor jobs that is actually useful. As you may be able to tell, I use the outboard motor job all the time--the monster, not so much.

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
The outboard motor job has a number of different functions and tools, including a mini-blender, a tiny little traditional food processor container, and a hand chopper. I use them all. The mini-blender is great if you want to redecorate your kitchen in chocolate milkshake.

3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?
My KitchenAid standing mixer is my friend. I love her. Wish I had time to spend more time with her. Mine is white - the only color they were making then, but yes, the powder blue is gorgeous. The new pumpkin orange color - not so much.

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
Yes, I've got a blender. No, I don't use it very often. Ever since the whole SNL Bass-o-matic thing, I've hesitated to bring the blender out of the cupboard. Last time I used it, it was to blend up paper into pulp for my youth group to make parchment. The parchment turned out beautifully, the blender, not so much.

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?
I love my rolling pin. It makes me feel like a cook. And best of all, when I'm wielding it, no one ever disagrees with me.

Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?
It's not actually an appliance, but I have this insulated gravy boat. I saw it online and ordered it immediately. It was advertised as stainless steel, fit for any holiday table. It's actually shiny metal-painted plastic and it is the tackiest, ugliest, lowest-rent thing ever, guaranteed to give Martha Stewart fits. But, the gravy stays hot. All in all, what's not to love?!?

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that was a sacrificial use for your blender! But with the Bass-o-Matic memories, perhaps that was just as well.

7:53 AM  
Blogger RevDrKate said...

I said to myself when I read this...now this is a REAL cook...I bow in respect. Of course there is that gravy boat...but we all have our moments.... :)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Auntie Knickers said...

The insulated gravy boat is quite an idea -- maybe someday it will be made in a nicer way, visually.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That gravy boat sounds cool. Function wins out over form in my kitchen every time!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I have been wanting to get my husband a Kitchen Aid for so long, but we don't have a lot of counter space right now. I'd get red, though.

Bass-o-Matic made me smile.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Muthah+ said...

We clerics, like teachers will use any port in a storm to keep kids involved. I won't drink a daquri at your house!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

Welcome back, Pastornines!

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home